Joan's Terse Sourdough Bread-Pizza Instructions

Joan's Terse Sourdough Bread-Pizza Instructions

There's really no recipe - you just need a batch of Carolyn's starter (which she let die, but I have kept alive for years and years), and put a bunch of calamata olives in the dough. My usual bread takes 2 days, though it has been so cold in the house that it has been taking 3 - today was not so bad, so I am almost done.

First day - a.m. put starter in bowl with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour. p.m. add 2 cups flour to make a stiff dough, let rise overnight.

Next day, take out about a cup of starter and mix with water and put away for the next time. To the rest, add 2 1/2 cups water, about 6 cups flour (can be mixed whole wheat or rye and white), tablespoon or so of kosher salt. If I am making pizza dough or the rolls my son likes, I add a couple of glugs of olive oil. Mix in olives if you want them. We also sometimes make sun-dried tomato. Let it rise. Then shape the loaves, let it rise again. Bake. Makes 4 pizza crusts, 4 loaves of bread, or 32 rolls.

Joan
(2/7/04)



Just to clarify--you raise the bread with only the starter? No added yeast? Maybe I'll try catching starter again. (No, wait, too close to Pesach and I won't know whether it's worth keeping until at least a couple months.) I might try this by creating a one-time starter.

Avital

No yeast - this is the only starter that works that well for me. I keep it in the freezer or the back of the fridge over Pesach-sell it with the rest of the chametz and don't even look at it. It was an unwashed grape starter (Levain) that Carolyn made years ago.

Joan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.