Homemade Miracle Whip

Homemade Miracle Whip

Whoo Hoo! I just learned how to make "Miracle Whip," or an acceptable facsimile. Normally I'm a mayo fan, but there are some things that require Miracle Whip/salad dressing. Liver cheese sandwiches require thinly sliced onions and MW. Potato or macaroni salad requires half mayo and half MW.

However, being on a tight budget lately, we've been buying generics, and it's proven impossible to find a decent tasting substitute for Miracle Whip, plus the texture isn't right. Out of frustration, I googled miracle whip recipe the other day and discovered some recipes out there.

I tried the first one that appeared for me, and it was perfect. After much griping, tho, because it was a most involved recipe, I realized it is basically a simple thing to do.

Put 1-1/2 cup mayo in a mixing bowl

Put 1/2 cup water and 1 tbsp vinegar in small pan and bring to a boil. (I reduced vinegar to 1 tbsp)

While water heats, put 2 tbsp sugar into 2 tbsp flour and mix well. (Am thinking of reducing sugar to 1-1/2 tbsp, maybe just 1.)

When water boils, take pan off heat and dump flour mixture into pan and whisk until blended and thickened.

With a spatula, scrape this out of the pan and onto the mayo. Stir and blend in well. Voila, Miracle Whip.

Why do this you may ask? I'm cheap, replies I. I can buy a bottle of canola oil for about $3.75 and with a few eggs (60 cents' worth) and incidental ingredients make the equivalent of about $8 worth of mayo and MW. Not to mention that I know what has gone in it - pure ingredients with no preservatives.

If anyone wants a good recipe for 1-egg mayo, Better Crocker's 1970-ish cookbook has an excellent, very easy recipe. If you want me to post it, I will.

J. Gayle
(3/9/09)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.