Charlene's Chocolate Mousse (very scale-able)

Charlene's Chocolate Mousse (very scale-able)

Per 2-4 people (I've used as many as 12 eggs, but I beat the whites in batches):

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (it's good with cheaper ones, but improved with higher quality)
3 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
2 large eggs, separated, and all the icky bits removed from both white and yolk
1 tbsp liqueur
     (I like Kahlua, Tia Maria, etc, but it's also very good with Cointreau or other fruity liqueurs. I'm less enamored of minty ones, even though I do generally like the mint/chocolate combo)

Melt chocolate. Add liqueur and egg yolks. Mix well. Beat whites until you can turn the bowl upside down. Fold in chocolate mixture. Chill a few hours.

It's fabulous with a base: a large brownie the size of the bowl is good. People seem to like whipped cream too: the real thing, not the junk from the can. No sugar added, please! Walnuts are good too, both as decoration as well as texturally. Chocolate curls look lovely.

This WILL NOT work with milk chocolate or white chocolate, it doesn't set properly - with semi-sweet it sets quite firmly.

Once I brought a chocolate mousse to a potluck: brownie base, white chocolate mousse layer between two dark layers, whipped cream decorations, and I received two marriage proposals because of it *g*. Not serious, but still, it was orgasmically popular.

If I don't send you the other recipes, mail me at home. I definitely have an exquisite creme brulee recipe, and I think I have tiramisu too.

Charlene in St Louis
(6/6/01)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.