Fudge Making - Hints and Thoughts

Fudge Making - Hints and Thoughts

Actually, the butter needs to cook with the other ingredients, not just be absorbed from the buttered pan when you spread it. Makes the fudge a bit creamier that way, I think. I don't generally use a thermometer any more unless I'm making divinity - I've found too many of them are not accurate any more. I've learned how to tell when the fudge is at various stages by visual cues, like the soft ball in a cup of cold water, (I have to do that test lots of times to make sure, you know! ;-D ), and then giving the fudge a gentle partial stir to see how cool it's gotten. It takes a bit of practice but now I can make fudge over a Coleman stove that comes out as good as made on my stove at home (and really amazes the park rangers!). Time for more practice!

Helen B
(6/8/00)



Helen wrote:
I use 6 tbsp cocoa, 3 tbsp butter, and 1 tsp corn syrup, less if it's a very humid day and no salt.

The secret to when to push it onto the buttered pan is to watch for when the shine disappears - that's the point to dash it on the pan because you've only got about 15 seconds to work with. The butter goes in to cook with the other ingredients and the vanilla goes in when you beat it. BUT, if you let it cool to 110°F, you don't have to beat it so much.

I kinda figgered that by buttering the pan, that took care of at least one tablespoon - and will watch closer for that change in the "shine"

nan (still trying to come up with an answer about burning my hand on the pan)
(6/11/00)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.