Irish Cinnamon Potato Candy

I was going to make one with sweetened condensed milk, but I didn't get around to making them until the day of the party, and they were supposed to dry overnight, so I found this recipe online, sounded easy enough for even me. Took me 3 hours to roll all the 'tiny taters'.

Irish Cinnamon Potato Candy
(From Carroll Pellegrinelli)

1/4 cup (60 ml) mashed potatoes
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
3-1/2 cups (825 ml) sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
1 cup (225 ml) shredded coconut
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
cinnamon

Put potatoes in large bowl (one can use instant potatoes to make 1/4 cup). Add salt, sugar, vanilla, coconut and butter. Mix well. Knead several minutes, adding more sugar, if necessary, to make a stiff dough.

Tear off a teaspoon of dough and form into a small log shape. Roll in cinnamon.

Lay on wax paper for 1 hour to dry. Store in air tight container. Makes way more than you'll ever want to eat. Really.

Brenda, I used a flat toothpick to poke 'eyes' into them, and I ran the coconut thru the vitamix so the coconut strands wouldn't make them crack. It's a weird combo, coconut and cinnamon, but they sure were popular. And cute, if I say so myself...although one comment was,' they look just like baby potatoes...no- like EMBRYO potatoes!' lol. Kinda grossed me out there for a minute!

Eileen
(4/3/06)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.