Baked Potato Soup

I modified this recipe, of course. I had to call my daughter's husband and have him come take half of it home. We have enough for tomorrow. I could barely eat a soup bowl-full. It was very filling and yummy. I changed it a little. I will put my changes in parenthesis.

Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup Butter
2/3 cup Flour
7 cups Milk
4 large Baking Potatoes*, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
4 Green Onions, sliced (I used a small bunch. It was not too much. I used a 1/2" of the green part.)
12 strips of Bacon, cooked well and crumbled
1-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used 8 oz. shredded)
1 cup (8 oz) Sour Cream
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper

*I used 4 large baking potatoes (6" long or so) makes about 8 cups, cubed. I baked the potatoes after oiling and putting foil around them, cooled them and removed the foil, then put in the fridge overnight in a covered dish, before peeling and cubing them. They stayed cubed and had a nice toasted bit under the peel.

In a large soup kettle or dutch oven, melt the butter over low heat. Take off the stove and blend in the flour until smooth; return to heat and gradually stir in the milk. Stir constantly until slightly thickened. Add potatoes and onions.

Bring to a boil (just starting to bubble), stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. (I still stirred constantly.) Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Yield: 8-10 servings. Recipe from Taste of Home's Big Book of Soup. Page 92.

Rich and delicious. My husband only could make yummy sounds as he ate. (grin)

Debra
(4/21/08)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.