Egg Substitutes

Egg Substitutes

According to The Kitchen Companion by Polly Clingerman, in baking substitute 2 tablespoons of applesauce or pureed prunes.

I've used 1 tablespoon of soy flour and 2 tablespoons of water for each egg in baking, especially when I was using the bread maker a lot. I think I found that substitute in The Tightwad Gazette (vol. 1), but I can't find my copy of that one right now.

Sally
(11/30/08)



In a list of "substitutions" I've had for many years it states that 1/2 tsp baking powder equals 1 whole egg...I don't know how this would work with pecan pie but I found the following list online by googling "egg substitution".

Patrice in So.Cal.



What is a good substitute for eggs?

2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg

1 banana = 1 egg in cakes
1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

Light, fluffy cakes!
(11/9/08)



Yes, I have "egg substitute," which is really just a combination of baking powder and cream of tartar. You use one tablespoon of that and two of water to equal one egg. This works very well with most quick breads, cakes and muffins. I suspect that something like a pecan pie is just not achievable with any of the egg substitutes. I had high hopes for Knox gelatin, but the Knox people said it wouldn't work.

Suzanne
(11/9/08)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.