Toll House Chocolate Crunch Cookies

Toll House Chocolate Crunch Cookies

(From the Toll House Cookbook - 21st printing 1945.)

Cream 1 cup butter, add 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 eggs beaten whole.

Dissolve 1 tsp. soda in 1 tsp hot water, and mix alternately with 2-1/4 cups flour sifted with 1 tsp salt.

Lastly add 1 cup chopped nuts and 2 bars ( 7oz.) Nestles yellow label chocolate, semi-sweet, which has been cut in pieces the size of a pea.

Flavor with 1 tsp vanilla and drop half teaspoons on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 min. in a 375°F oven makes 100 cookies.

I didn't go to check the back of the bag, but the only difference I note is mixing soda into water first (maybe soda is less lumpy now or something?) and having to cut up the bar chocolate.

Helen D.
(2/15/01)

Comment:

Yes, the original recipe had the soda mixed into the water because baking soda back then tended to get into very hard chunks and could not be easily mixed into the flour.

I found that I got much better Toll House cookies when I made them at my sister's house, without all of my fancy baking equipment (mixer etc.). Using a wooden spoon to cream everything and later mix in the flour, made for much better cookies -- perhaps the lighter mixing didn't develop the gluten in the flour, and made my cookies less tough.

I also don't use two eggs, because I find that if you only use one jumbo, you get a much crisper cookie, and I prefer that. I hate soft cookies.

Carolyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.