Wild Mushroom Soup

Wild Mushroom Soup

Well uhhhh.... (shuffling my feet and looking embarrassed.) When all those folks started lining up outside the kitchen door with their bowls, I got kinda shy. I tried to figure out how to make enough chanterelle soup for 527 people and figured that, if I go every week and buy and freeze all the mushrooms I can get my hands on and make soup when I have enough, it's still gonna be about 6 years 'til I can feed the lot of you! So I figure I'll share the recipe I came up with instead. It was pretty rich!

1 lb assorted wild mushrooms (though domestic will do in a pinch)
1/2 small onion, finely minced
3 cups homemade chicken stock
6 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sherry
3/4 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of thyme

Use any broken or crumbled pieces of mushroom and chop 2/3 of the total you have.

Sauté the minced onion in 3 tbsp butter until tender. Add chopped mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft. Add chicken stock, a pinch of thyme and simmer for an hour or so.

Set aside and slice the remaining mushrooms nicely then sauté them in the remaining butter. When they are fully cooked, add 1/4 cup sherry and let warm for 5 or 10 minutes while you puree the mushroom and stock mixture in a blender or food processor. It won't be completely smooth, but fairly. Return this to the pot and add the sliced mushrooms and sherry. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and add cream, salt and pepper to taste, just heating through. Serve and enjoy.

Made about 4 or 5 servings.

It was good. It was very good.

Joy in SF
(1/14/05)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.