Baked Salmon Croquettes

Baked Salmon Croquettes

I made up a recipe for salmon croquettes tonight that we thought were pretty good. Thought I'd share. These are *not* gourmet things but are quick and easy.

2 (7.5 oz each) cans Salmon (I used Kroger Alaskan pink), broken up with fork or 1 (14.75 oz) can
1 (4 oz) can whole green chilies, chopped medium
1 long pkg saltine crackers crushed to smithereens
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup shredded mozzarella
3 eggs
splash buttermilk (or milk)

In a mixing bowl, dump the salmon and take out the skin and spine bones. Break up with a fork. Add chopped green chilies and onion, crushed crackers and mozzarella. Beat eggs and add a small splash of buttermilk. Pour eggs over stuff in the bowl and mix well.

Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray well with PAM or brush with oil (a lot cuz mine stuck - but the pan was clean!). Using the mixing spoon, make croquettes and don't worry about the shape.

Bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes or until brown.
Makes about 8 big ones.

My Mom used to make normal ones, and I loved them. I won't ever make them because she always cooked them in 1/4" at least of oil, and I try to avoid that due to the fat and my laziness. Of course, I suppose I defeated the fat-avoidance purpose with the cheese and eggs, oops.
Tonight I wanted them but decided to see how they'd do baked. Did quite well :-) I didn't have the normal ingredients (green pepper and celery) that she used to use so got inventive. We're pretty glad I did.

Jola Gayle
Lady of Forgets (who won't forget how to do this because now it's written down)
(11/16/01)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.