Scotch Oats in the Slow Cooker

Scotch Oats in the Slow Cooker
(Notes and comments after the recipe.)

Got up this morning to this, which was delicious. Makes being unable to sleep at 3:30 almost worthwhile.

(An addendum -- be sure to liberally butter the inside of your slow cooker before putting this stuff in. Don't ask me how I know this. Carolyn, letting the crock soak until Kingdom Come)

2 cups steel cut oats
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk or cream
3 tbsp butter
2 apples peeled and grated
1 tsp cinnamon
generous glug of maple syrup, the real kind
pinch of salt

Put in slow cooker on Low overnight.

Just consulted Marion Cunningham, and she advises 2-1/2 cups water to 1 cup of oats overnight in a crockpot or in a well covered dish in the oven at 225°F. She also suggests not stirring it when its done, or it will lose its creamy texture. I don't know if I agree with that, but I generally find her recipes useful.

Carolyn
(11/14/01)

Notes and Comments:

Basically, if you are doing the steel cut oatmeal in the slow cooker, butter the inside of the crock first (otherwise it will stick something awful). How much water to add is really a matter of taste. I have one son who likes his oatmeal gruel-like, and another who prefers it more risotto like in texture.

There will be no evaporation in the crockpot, so don't put too much. Generally, I think about 1-1/2 to 2 cups water to one cup oats is probably adequate, though I haven't made this in a while. Add a pinch of salt. Put it on low all night long. In the am, if there is excess liquid on top, you can stir it in or skim it off. Add cream, butter, and real VT maple syrup. I am also partial to plain whole milk yogurt (the kind with the yogurt cream on top) in place of the cream/butter, along with the maple syrup.

Carolyn



I'll probably use the higher amount of water. I prefer my oatmeal a little on the thin side. And since I'll certainly end up taking some home as leftovers, it will thicken with storage. Besides, at this altitude, most things need a little more water and a little more time to cook.

Katherine also posted a recipe that includes dried fruit. I think this may be the application I need for some of the 6 pints of blueberries that found their way into the food dehydrator last summer.

Judith

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.