Meals, Leftovers, and Sandwich Ideas (longish)

Meals, Leftovers, and Sandwich Ideas (longish)
(11/4/01)

First meal: Pot roast. Plain beef, any cut of roast. Cooked slow and covered so that it falls apart. With or with out quartered potatoes, onions and halved carrots.

Eat hot, eat cold, plain, dressed, on sandwiches, with barbecue sauce, with horse radish.

Left overs rule.
Denise



On the second day, we have the leftover pot roast, (which we cook without added potatoes or carrots, but with onions), warmed up and served over couscous. maaaahvelous.

lea bob



Homemade Mac and cheese. Use sharp white cheddar. Make white sauce, add cheese dump in cooked noodles pour in baking dish, top with more cheese and bread crumbs. Bake til bubbly and brown on top.

Yum

Chicken stew. Stew chicken while you are taking it off the bones add rice, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic to the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to low. When rice is cooked, add the chicken, and a can of cream of chicken soup. We put spike on top, a blend of many veg and spices.

Viki



My all time favorite plain food (by plain, I mean comfort), which I think I have posted here before:

Pasta with whole milk ricotta, butter and parmesan and lots of fresh ground black pepper. This is what my nonna made for me when I had a bad day. Of course, she, being rather eclectic and also having been raised in a Jewish neighborhood, as did I, always made it with Goodman's Egg Noodles. I still like it that way, although I can't find a good Jewish egg noodle up here anymore.

I didn't realize until much later that it is also known as Shepherd's pasta.

Carolyn



(Did anyone else eat white bread, butter and sugar as an afternoon snack when they were kids?)

*YES!!!* It had to be white bread, like Rainbow. Sometimes, cinnamon sugar. I haven't had a sammich like this since a kid. Cinnamon toast is another goodie.

Or white bread spread with butter, strawberry jam, peanut butter (almond butter for me know, allergic to PB) with Fritos corn chips smashed between the condiments and a large glass of Quik.

The meatloaf in the Campbell's cookbook. A fav still with mashed potatoes. This meatloaf is so good, no gravy or condiments are dumped on it.

Roast Beef Hash if any leftover beef roast (rare).

Creamed hamburger on mashed potatoes. Also love tator turds. Er, tots.

Debra



I don't know if this qualifies as 'plain' but it is simple. Got to this idea roundabout.

(BTW, anyone heard of the 'slow food' movement? http://www.slowfood.com Interesting idea.)

DH made some veggie and red bean soup tonight; and tossed in some sheep chorizo. Had some corn tortillas on the side.

Recently when I was schlepping lambs between where I live (north of Troy NY) and to near Monticello, I took the side road through Kingston, Stone Ridge, Ellenville. In Stone Ridge is this little attempting-to-be fancy grocery. Excellent cheese selection.

Poked around and found some manouri sheep cheese. Kind of like a sheep cream cheese, tho not as rich.

So the cheese was out and the tortillas were out. I just knew.....So I took the potato peeler and made some thin slices, put onto the tortilla, toasted in toaster oven. Rolled up like a jelly roll.

Really good flavor combo.

Mary P.



Or plain cream cheese on flour tortillas - no need to heat, just schmear, fold, and dip into your favorite taco sauce or salsa.

Leslie



How about peanut butter, mayonnaise, and lettuce. Yumyumyum. Haven't had one in a couple of decades, but they sure were good, and they sure freaked out the other kids at school.

M, ELoL, TSM



My main plain gotta have it on a regular basis food is rice, we routinely have a minimum of 4 types of rice available and we generally buy it in 25 or 50 pound bags. My staple rices are brown basmati, brown short grain, basmati and jasamine. If I am depressed or sad or not feeling well I cook plain rice, add soy sauce and grated sharp cheddar cheese on top.

Another great comfort food is homemade tamale's. I usually make turkey or chicken and beef ones but it's a multi day process and I haven't done it in a year or so. When I have them in the freezer I love to just hot one up in the microwave for breakfast, or lunch or dinner.

Oogie



Anyone else go for oatmeal with either dark brown sugar or maple syrup, milk, and butter? Fish chowder is another comfort dish for me as is rice pudding and blanc mange - don't have any of these very often anymore. Oh and cold baked beans and welsh rarebit or rabbit or whatever you call melted cheese sauce on white toast.

Catspaw eating enchiladas tonight



I love both of these, except maybe the 2nd without the lettuce. I'm slightly allergic to peanuts - no anaphylactic (sp?) shock, just bloating - but about twice a year I fall to craving PB&B or PB and Miracle Whip.

fav easy sammich: salami and grape or plum jelly>

J. Gayle



I love steel cut oatmeal, cooked overnight in the crockpot, with butter and maple syrup on top. And rice pudding, particularly the Indian kind with cardamom and other spices, is divine.

C



I used to eat peanut butter on whole grain bread with alfalfa sprouts. I called it a Hairy sandwich and people always looked at me like I was nuts for eating it.

I haven't had one of those since DD1 was about 1-1/2.

Viki



Oh yes, and boiled eggs with butter and toast, the way my daddy used to fix them when I was little and trying to get out of going to bed...

Lady Gwendolyn



I used to lightly toast egg and onion matzah and spread it thickly with butter... but only in my grandmother's house.

Debbie



LOL! I used to love taking hot white rice, adding a dab of butter, add a tablespoon or four of sugar and pouring milk over it all. My sister and I would fight over the last of the white rice for this "dessert" my Mom loved.

Can't eat it now, dammit. My husband calls tapioca, my fav, fish eggs like someone else said. But he will eat the above I mentioned. Which I will be sure to call maggots swimming in milk just as he just takes a bite.

Deb



Rice with butter and lemon or lime juice.

Pasta with butter and grated cheese.

Toast with peanut butter.

Pie crust.

Katherine



Leftover potroast (when you have it) is also good shredded, mixed with cooked black beans, and maybe some tomato, and put into burritos. Esp. if it is my chipotle pot roast.

Carolyn



Puddings of all kinds... Does anyone here like bread pudding? It's a staple around here on chilly nights and the next day for breakfast. We save stale bread, any kind of stale bread except rye, just for bread pudding. No particular recipe, just soak the bread in milk awhile, beat in eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, a few raisins or currants and bake until set.Wonderful with a dollop of whipped cream.

Joy in S.F.



I keep waiting for someone to mention pork with green chili, which is the ubiquitous one in this neck of the woods.  You can eat a bowl of it with a tortilla or two, but generally it's used to smother everything else: burritos, enchiladas, chile rellenos, whatever.  Pork, onions, heaps of green chiles, cumin, oregano, slow simmered till everything virtually melts. 

Debbie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.