Ann's Meat Loaf

Ann's Meat Loaf

This is my grandmother's meatloaf recipe. It's the only one I ever use. I've given the "amounts" just as she wrote them.
a good handful of oats, or 2 slices of stale bread
milk
2 lbs. ground meat - beef and some pork
a small can of tomato sauce
1 egg
1 small onion
1/2 green bell pepper
Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper



Pour milk to cover the oats in a bowl and let sit. Mix all together. Pat into a loaf pan. Bake in a medium oven until done.


My notes:
If you use bread, tear it up before adding the milk.
Tomato sauce is an 8 oz. can.
The onion and pepper are chopped fine.
Seasonings are to taste.

Oven is preheated 350° F. My oven takes about an hour and 15 min, or an hour and a half to cook this.

I've added canned 'shrooms, shredded carrots, and grated cheese to this, and have substituted a can of mushroom soup for tomato sauce for a friend who's allergic to tomatoes.

This can be doubled easily, or even tripled. I've made a big meatloaf in a lasagna pan with this recipe.

I almost have to eat mashed potatoes and green beans with this. Those were the sides my grandmother always served.

Ann in TX
(11/5/01)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be warned!

*Most of the list members who posted recipes are not available for any questions.
*Some have left the list. Some have died.
*There are no photos and there may not ever be any.
*This is not a recipe "book" geared to those who cannot cook without someone holding their hand.
*The blog owner and list members who posted the recipes are not responsible for the recipes or their content. Spoons do not make you fat.
*The standard disclaimers on any and all content apply to appease the Gummit brownshirts and their allies.